I’ve got a weakness for ice cream. Summer, spring, fall or winter it’s a sweet treat I cannot resist. And I love chocolate chip cookie dough. I am the person you will find eating spoonfuls of the batter before it is even cooked. This recipe marries my two loves: Cookie dough and ice cream.
I added some dark chocolate chips to my dough and some Belgian chocolate ice cream to bring out a few different notes of chocolate and to make these extra rich and creamy. The chocolate chip cookie dough stays soft even when it’s in the freezer, and it goes perfectly with chocolate ice cream.
I used ‘talenti’ ice cream because it comes in the perfect one pint size, and I can use the entire thing to make the bars
This recipe makes about twelve bars and is the ultimate ice cream sandwich!
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/3 c light brown sugar
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- About 3.5 oz of dark chocolate, about 70% cacao
- 1 pint of your favorite ice cream
- Take your ice cream out of the freezer and set it on the counter. It needs to thaw a bit so it is spreadable
- In a small bowl whisk all of the wet ingredients together and set aside
- Place a mesh sifter above a large bowl. Dump all of your dry ingredients into the sifter and sift by hitting your hand against the side until everything ends up in the big bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. This is a great time to use a hand mixer or a stand mixer. The dough is sticky and heavy so for me it’s just easier.
- Roughly chop up your chocolate into small ‘chip’ size pieces. Then pour these into your dough and continue to stir until they are completely incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half. Grease a 9 x 9 inch pan with coconut oil or non stick cooking spray. Press one half of the dough into the bottom of the pan. Press it down until it is evenly spread across the entire pan.
- Spread your ice cream over the cookie dough until it even and smooth. This doesn’t have to be perfect (just delicious)
- Take a piece of plastic wrap that is the approximate size of the pan. Lay it flat on your counter and place the second half of your dough in the middle of it. Place another layer of plastic wrap on top. Grab your rolling pin and roll of the dough to a 9 x 9 square.
- Peel the top layer of plastic off of the dough. Flip the dough onto the ice cream so that the last piece of plastic wrap is facing up (not touching the ice cream).
- Peel the plastic wrap away from the top of the dough. Use your hands to smooth out or patch any remaining blemishes in the top of your dough.
- Cover your pan with that plastic wrap you just removed (or some new wrap) and place it in the freezer for at least two hours to let the ice cream harden again!
- Take your sandwiches out of the freezer, cut, and enjoy 🙂