Standing in the Ocean
Feeling the waves crashing
Each brings singular moments rising from the depths to speak in the loudest volumes and grandest gestures
Humbly coming to the shore in much lesser form
So that I may hear its message
Felt only for a moment before rolling away to plunge back into the depths of the expansive sea
My feet under water and drudged in the sand
Anchored into the dark depths of it all
Doused in the warm light
But I held onto a wave
And I chased it’s existence
Too far off shore
With my feet treading water trying to stay afloat
And the depths and darkness seemed to overcome me
And pull me down
Sadly, as if to say, it is only in our nature when you come this far
From under water I looked up and light beams danced on the water’s surface
Sputtering and choking on the water in my lungs I fought back to the surface and back to shore
And then once again,
Two feet in the sand, anchored in the dark
And one head above, basking in the light
I thought one was evil and was one good
Turns out that just depends on how far we’re willing to take them.
Carrot Cake with Mascarpone and Honey Cream Cheese
2 c all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp cinnamon
Sprinkle of ground black peppercorn medley
12 oz grated carrots
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup raw sugar
⅓ cup brown sugar
6 oz, or ⅓ cup sour cream
6 oz or ½ cup of sunflower oil
3 oz cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla bean powder
6 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
3 tbsp honey
⅓ mascarpone cheese
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices into a bowl. Whisk them together to full incorporate them.
- Grate the carrots with a medium grater. Toss the carrots into the flour to make sure that they are fully coated.
- In a large mixing bowl (you can use a stand mixer here) combine the sugar, eggs, sour cream, and brown sugar. Once the mixture is fully combined turn your mixture (or hand whisk) to medium speed and slowly pour in the sunflower oil .
- Smear a stick of butter all over a half sized sheet pan
- Pour the cake batter (it will be pretty runny) into the sheet pan and use an off set spatula (or knife) to smooth the batter so that it lays evenly in the pan
- Bake for 25-27 minutes, or until the top is brown and nothing comes out after you prick the middle with a tooth pick.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for at least an hour.
- Cut the cake into thirds from top to bottom. Then cut each third in half. You should be left with six rectangles.
- In a small bowl mix together the cream cheese, the vanilla bean powder, and the softened butter until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add in the mascarpone cheese and honey. Beat again until light and fluffy.
- Take one of the rectangles of cake and place it on your serving platter. Using a knife or off set spatula plop two dollops of icing on top of it. Then spread it evenly over the top of the cake. Place another rectangle on top of the icing and repeat until each cake layer has icing on top of it.
- Refrigerate your cake in a covered or sealed container for 1-3 hours.
- Enjoy a big ol’ piece 🙂